Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 2004 00:09:39 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        Brandon Erhart <berhart@ErhartGroup.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIN_WAIT_[1,2] and LAST_ACK

Brandon Erhart wrote:

> Well, I responded to the group that I had taken one of the fellows advice
> posting here, and modified the tcp_usrclosed in netinet/tcp_usrreq.c.
>
> So all is well -- it gets TCPS_CLOSED state and the tcps_close() function
> called on the tuple IMMEDIATELY. It doesn't switch states depending on
> which state the connection is currently in. I also made a sysctl variable
> for it (to turn the "feature" on or off), and will post the small patch
> along w/ some other small changes I have made soon.

As far as I am aware (I was looking through and testing the FIN_WAIT states
in 5.2 around last christmas) our TCP stack is behaving correctly.

Do the FIN_WAIT_1|2 and LAST_ACK time out after 2MSL or do they stick
around forever?  If they stick around forever, then there is something
broken.

But I suspect you are just running out of the small space of local ports
with your application as I said in the previous email.

--
Andre