Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:26:27 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: connecting to a secured Windows 2003 terminal server

--==========EF14AB75AD9EE00748FE==========

--On July 22, 2008 10:03:36 PM -0400 Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>=20
wrote:

>> Umm..it's a terminal server....
>
> ...ummm, in Windows-land, Terminal Services =3D=3D rdp (port 3389 TCP).

Umm..no.  In Windows-land, Terminal Services =3D=3D rdp (port 3389 TCP) =
but a=20
terminal *server* is used specifically to allow mutliple (as in more than=20
the default limit of two) concurrent sessions and requires the purchase of =

additional licenses.  Now, *maybe* the OP really meant terminal *services* =

but he wrote "secured Windows 2003 terminal *server*", and that is a=20
different animal altogether.

> To the OP:
>
> If NMap is installed on the FBSD box, try:
>
># nmap -sS -P0 -p 3389 ip_of_rdp_box
>
> ..if the port appears open, try:
>
># telnet ip_of_rdp_box 3389
>
> ...and see what you get.
>
> If you see nothing, refer to the logs of the 2k3 server (Event Viewer I
> believe it is called).
>
> Failing that, see if there is a 'feature' to drop back to non-SSL mode
> for RDP for the time being, to at least get the FBSD boxen to 'see' the
> service. Troubleshooting can commence from there.

If you like sending your credentials across the internet in clear text, be =

my guest.  I wouldn't suggest to the OP that he ask his enterprise to=20
expose themselves to that level of risk.

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not
those of my employer.