Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:07:11 -0400
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wireless problems after upgrade to 4.10 (fwd)

I sent this yesterday to freebsd-questions, and didn't get a
single bite, so I hope no one will mind if I repost it here.
I'd be grateful for any ideas.

I'm running FreeBSD on an IBM ThinkPad X23. For wireless access, I've
been using an Orinoco Gold 802.11b card that's been working fine for
two years or so.

I just got around to upgrading from 4.9 to 4.10, and in the process
something seems to have gotten screwed up with my wireless networking.
I've made buildworld and made kernel, but not installworld or
mergemaster yet.

On boot, I get something like this from ifconfig:

---
wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
        ether [editorially deleted]
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/2Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid linksys 1:""
        stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
        channel 6 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
        wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
---

When I run dhclient, I get an IP address from my Linksys
router, but am unable to reach anything outside. I can
successfully ping the router, but trying to hit any outside
address, by name or IP, just hangs indefinitely. My usual
array of troubleshooting tips--killing the dhclient process,
deleting the dhclient.leases file, flushing the routing
table--has no effect.

Rolling back the kernel fixes this up. There wasn't anything about
this in UPDATING. I can get on perfectly well by plugging in an
Ethernet cable to the same router.

Any suggestions?

Jesse Sheidlower