Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2014 23:06:55 -0500
From:      Eric Popelka <arickp@cox.net>
To:        andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Staying safe and sound

On 12/5/14 10:06 PM, andrew clarke wrote:

> A fresh install of FreeBSD is extremely secure.
>
> sshguard or similar might be useful if you're running public-facing
> sshd, mostly just to cut the noise down in your logs from people (or,
> rather, people running bots) trying to brute-force login. After a few
> incorrect password attempts the software can block their IP address.

I'm with you there. I had to set up ipfilter to block all port 22
traffic (except for a couple subnets), as I was seeing failed login
attempts for 'oracle', 'admin', etc. once things were up and running.
I'll look into sshguard as well.

> Whether it's Windows, Linux, OS X, BSD etc, security problems in the
> base OS or web server software (Apache, nginx, etc) are quite rare
> these days. I believe most site defacements and breakins occur due to
> bugs in PHP scripts or leaked passwords, etc.

Ah yes. Professionally, I've had to spend many hours preventing Little
Baby Tables (http://xkcd.com/327/) from causing havoc.

> Assuming you're running the GENERIC kernel on 10.0-RELEASE (check
> uname -a), freebsd-update can upgrade both kernel and userland to
> 10.1, but there's no rush. 10.0 is currently still supported, so you
> can get security updates for it (also with freebsd-update).
>
> The latter is very simple. Note that security updates to the kernel
> will require a reboot to take effect.
>
> Upgrading from 10.0 to 10.1 may be slightly more work in the case of
> config file changes between versions, but it should be pretty
> self-explanatory.

Great, thanks. It was hard to even find a hosting company, with servers
in the Northeast U.S., that even had FreeBSD install ISOs to attach.

>> (Yes, I realize OpenBSD is the choice for those serious about
>> security, but like I said, this is mostly a playground server for
>> personal use. That said, I don't want to become an open relay, have my
>> site defaced, etc.)
>
> The FreeBSD team are serious about security.
>
> OpenBSD may have a name for itself but its leader is somewhat
> obsessive and abrasive, tending to drive people away.
>
> Subjectively, I find FreeBSD quite a bit easier to use than
> Net/OpenBSD, and I suspect that's most other people's experience too.

Theo de Raadt? Yeah, it's too bad we can't all get along. Man, I think
that's been going on since the mid-90s. Good times.

Sorry about my choice of words re: OpenBSD, I was going to say 'super
paranoid about security', but my desire to keep things calm and peaceful
on a "newbie questions" mailing list prevented me from doing so.
Certainly FreeBSD has been easy for me to pick up. Couldn't figure out
RootOnZFS, but that's experimental anyway, and I know very little about
zfs pools/mirrors/etc. UFS works fine for what I'm doing.

-Eric