Date:      Wed, 2 Nov 2011 16:38:07 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Frank Razenberg <frank@zzattack.org>
Subject:   Re: smartctl / mpt on 9.0-RC1

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 10:57:01PM +0100, Frank Razenberg wrote:
> Ever since I tried 9.0-RC1 I haven't been able to read SMART values
> of the disks attached to my Intel SASUC8i (LSI 1068e rebrand)
> controller with smartctl. Similar disks on motherboard SATA ports
> can be queried as expected.
>
>    # smartctl -a /dev/da0
>    smartctl 5.42 2011-10-20 r3458 [FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 amd64] (local build)
>    Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen,
>    http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
>
>    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> The controller was flashed to run in IT-mode. The relevant
> smartctl.core dump is available at
> http://files.zzattack.org/smartctl.core.zip
>
> Suggestions or a fix would be highly appreciated.

You will need to debug the core yourself, not provide it to us.
Sometimes cores are specific to a person's system.

Please run "gdb /usr/local/sbin/smartctl smartctl.core" and provide here
the function call stack.  This will help determine if it's a bug in
smartctl or something FreeBSD-related.  If it's a smartmontools problem,
you will need to report the bug to them directly via Sourceforge.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |