Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:43:26 +1100 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@blacksun.net.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        doug@connect.com.au
Subject:   keep state keyword for ipfw

Whats a good way of allowing DNS queries and zone transfer requests
out (and the responses back) through an ipfw filter ?

As I understand it, a query goes from UDP port 53 to some random
high UDP port on the name server. The name server then responds
with a UDP packet from port 53 destined for the same high UDP
port on the machine.

Using these ipfilter rules :-

# Pass out domain requests to our servers
#
pass out quick proto udp from any to nameserver/32 port = domain
#
# Keep the state and log domain requests going to other servers
#
pass out log first quick proto udp from any to any port = domain keep
state

..I belive the "keep state" bit gets a temporary rule put in place
that will allow UDP back from port 53 to the same port that the
request went out on.

.Sooo - does ipfw have functionality similar to ipfilter's
keep state, and if not, how do you go about allowing the
response back in ?