Date:      Sat, 02 Mar 1996 21:19:18 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Green <chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Specification

> 	X/Open seem to think they have one. But again I'm not too familiar
> with the politics involved. But I would like to see FreeBSD branded with
> the official UNIX name. Rather that UN*X-like...

Brother, can you spare approximately $90,000?  :-)

That's about what it will initially cost for the validations suites
alone, plus a $50K/year contract to keep it active.  And the per-copy
royalties for each and every copy sold as "UNIX" - that could easily
run another $50K, depending.

Trust me, I've talked with X/Open a fair bit about this, and I've done
my best to explain the uniqueness of our situation.  To date, however,
their prices remain unchanged and thus so also does our "UNIX" brand
status.

					Jordan