Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 23:03:02 +0200
From:      "IBS / Andre Oppermann" <andre@pipeline.ch>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        IBS / Andre Oppermann <andre@pipeline.ch>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how many virtual www server on a 2.2.6 PPro machine ?

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 10:04:01PM +0200, IBS / Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > Andreas Klemm wrote:
> > > Currently a Linux DLD 5.1 chokes on over 120 virtual webservers.
> > > Every virtual webserver has it's own log an error logfile.
> >
> > Just compile with enough MAXUSERS and modify the login class
> > to allow all the open files.
>
> I currently have maxuser set to 128, is that ok for such an
> environment ?

Yes, I think so. But theres just another thing popping in my mind:
put up your mbufs, the network buffers. They are used for caching/
queueing up the output of apache until the client has fetched all
the stuff from the server (and that might take a bit over an 28.8
line). This value is normaly rised with maxusers but there has
been a lot of discussion on -hackers or -chat the last weeks. Might
be worth to take a look into the archives (and into McKusik, the
design and implementation of 4.4BSD, I'm half way through).

> > > I know, that most people only put about 40 or so virtual
> > > webservers onto one machine, but the virtual webservers
> > > aren't heavy loaded ...
> >
> > We are running with 128 or so, no problem so far (with apache).
> > I've set up one apache daemon for every 32 virtual servers in the
> > case one fails and to have not too many open files per process.
> > The box works like a champ (only P5-133) due to the superior
> > VM/task sheduler of FreeBSD.
>
> Wow ! ;-)

I've run squid for 150+ users on a 486-100 with 64MB Ram and SCSI
harddisk behind an 256k line. Never had any problem... solid like
a rock and hyper performance. Users always asked how many gigs RAM
in that box are...

> > > The max number of IP aliases is 255 I think per network card.
> > > If I would like to configure 240 ... would that run or
> > > do you see problems ? I'd try that if you don't know.
> >
> > I've seen a mail on that subject sometime last year. It said
> > there should be 'no limit' and he tried it with over 300 (if my
> > memory did'nt fail). One suggestion was to alias your loopback
> > interface with all that ip's and put a static route on your
> > router that points to the whole class-c on your box. This avoids
> > all the ARP entries on your ethernet (and I think the arp tables
> > are not very huge).
>
> Thanks !
>
>         Andreas ///

It's interesting, you ask always questions I know the answer for ;)
Maybe we should put up a german language FreeBSD mailing list?

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch