Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 15:20:59 -0800
From:      ONE-MO <onemo@jps.net>
To:        Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2nd SCSI drive not detected. Why?

Wes Santee wrote:

> And ONE-MO proclaimed...
> > Do you have proper termination of the 68pin channel. Wide-SCSI is
> > extremely sensitive to this and I find many people using
> > Fast-SCSI without a terminator don't notice problems until they
> > introduce a Wide drive into the mix.
> >
> > FWIW I have a 2940UW with two Ultra-Wide SCA drives using SCA to 68pin
> > converter. I couldn't access the second drive unless I enabled
> > termination on the second drives SCA converter.
> >

> Thanks for the tips.  I made sure that termination is active on both
> drives since they are at either end of the SCSI bus.  However, I noted
> that the Wide drive has 4 termination settings (5 if you include no
> termination).  I'll do some research to make sure I've got the right
> *kind* of termination set, just to make sure.
>
> Still, even with improper termination, if the SCSI bus can see the drive,
> shouldn't the OS be able to?  Improper termination would seem to lead to
> instability, but I would still expect the OS to see it's there since
> the SCSI adapter can see it.  I'm just speculating here, however.
>
> Cheers,
> -Wes

No necessarily. It's the OS and application level software that is going to
be sensitive to transmission timings and such. The BIOS simply polls the
channel and waits fotr a response from each ID/LUN. Although termination
problems *can* interfere with the card's detection, it usually shows much
more prominently with the OS.

MO!