Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:02:50 +0800
From:      "aLan Tait" <aLan@fil.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Duel Nic's Testing

I run a tiny ISP on an island in the Philippines, with no
one to talk to about FreeBSD!  (Which means I have almost no
money!)

Right now I have converted some of our boxes from
When?Doze-NT to FreeBSD (radius, bind 8, ftp and apache).

I am now working on our the hardest problem yet, the
firewall/filter.  I have a Pentium 120 with 480 MB Hard
Drive and 48 MB ram - that I want to use as a gateway.  It
has two Nics, a PCI NE2000 (outside) and a 3C905b-TX
(inside), no problems getting these in (FreeBSD 3.3).
rc.conf reads okay, bootup sees them too.

Tomorrow I plan to load IPFilter, and then take on ALTQ for
a little bandwidth control.

Here is the problem... How do I test this... Without
disrupting all our clients!

Our little SBE router (I am not really routing and may be
able to set this up as just a bridge - it supplies the
needed high speed serial port), the router connects to a
Microwave Radio to Manila (the lease line, now at 64 kbps,
soon to be 128 kbps and I hope it will grow!).

Our provider in Manila has a cisco with IP address:
Manila serial port 1.2.98.10/30
Our Router serial port 1.2.98.9/30
Our Router address 1.2.102.1/23 (Gateway)
Our Network 1.2.102/23

I can't touch the router at this time because of live
traffic.

If I set a couple workstations on the inside of this then
set:
the "inside" nick to 1.2.102.65/28 (which is vacant)
the "outside" nick to 1.2.102.2/26 (which has the servers I
need for testing)

Will this work for testing?

Or should I remove the 1.2.102.65/28 from the Ethernet of
the router and "route" it to 1.2.102.2?

Any Advise would be most welcome.

aLan Tait

PS I am also open for other suggestions.  I chose IPFilter
because, 1) the rules look like the rules in the SBE router
(which I already understand some), 2) I want to stop people
from getting into our site from the outside (they should be
going to our mirror in the USA), 3) I want to redirect all
outgoing port 80 traffic to a squid proxy, still to be
built!

I chose ALTQ because it allows any one customer to use are
whole bandwidth if the others are not using it.  I have
enough IP's and I don't need any Network Translation.

I was also looking at ipfw and dummynet, but couldn't find
anything about allowing higher bandwidth when others are not
using it.