Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:22:11 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wirelss card & cardbus

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:00:00 -0800
> From: Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> I just bought a new wireless card for my laptop, which was cardbus,
> and it seems that that means it is unsupported (but it is not like I
> could tell from the distributor's site that it was cardbus or not).
>
> So, as I package this guy up for a return, I ask, does anyone have a
> recommendation for a card with at least 128-bit WEP and support for
> at least 802.11b if not g, for FBSD 4.X?

You can always run 5.2, just released a few minutes ago. It supports
CardBus and many 'g' cards. For non-SMP systems, it's really pretty
solid.

There are many 16-bit 802.11b cards that will work fine with V4, but
it's often hard to get the right one as manufacturers seem to change the
chip used without changing the model number and often not even showing a
revision number.

Any card with a Intersil Prism chip should work. I've been running V5 on
my laptop for some time and I'm not too sure of the state of 'G' support
in STABLE. If the ath driver is in STABLE, Atheros chips should
work. Most 'B' Cisco cards are also supported.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)