Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:36:40 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Creating armv7 MACHINE_ARCH

On 2017-Jun-12, at 8:39 AM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> . . .
>=20
> Plus, we aren't quite doing what Ian wanted. He wanted a full rename. =
The

On 2017-Jun-12, at 6:59 AM, Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz> wrote:

> I like this. My understanding is adding armv7 would also fix many of =
the currently broken ports that assume they are being built for armv7 as =
many Linux distros target ARMv7+.
>=20
> It should also be noted the GENERIC kernel is likely to only ever =
target ARMv7+ even without an armv7 TARGET_ARCH.

Hopefully the choices related to TARGET and TARGET_ARCH
for armv7 end up identifying the context to port builds
so that many would just automatically do the right thing.

As for GENERIC:

powerpc has. . .

TARGET=3Dpowerpc TARGET_ARCH=3Dpowerpc   and GENERIC
TARGET=3Dpowerpc TARGET_ARCH=3Dpowerpc64 and GENERIC64

So there is precedent for more than one GENERIC*
for a family, with which one being appropriate
being based on TARGET_ARCH.

For powerpc TARGET=3Dpowerpc implicitly uses
TARGET_ARCH=3Dpowerpc when TARGET_ARCH is not
specified (if I remember right). Which should
be the default for armv6 vs. armv7 might go
the other direction (TARGET_ARCH=3Darmv7 by
default).

Side note:

A caution about talking about "rpi2" as
an example. . .

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B V1.2 is Cortex-A53 based
(so arm64/aarch64). (A BCM2837, not a BCM2836.)
This dates about to something like 2014 based
on the pictures showing the (c) notice on the
boards.

V1.1 and before were armv7 (BCM2836) based.

Unless a kernel and world are made that can
also configure/handle a Cortex-A53 in a
armv7-like manor there will be two different
GENERIC builds in order to span the "rpi2"
family, based on just V1.2+ vs. V1.1 and
before.

(A single, modern distribution of the official
Raspbian software for the rpi2 does support
all the V1.x boards if I understand right.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net