Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 08:20:55 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Osman" <osmanb@rpi.edu>
To:        drew@sml.co.jp
Cc:        Justin Wolf <jjwolf@bleeding.com>, "'cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com'" <cmcurtin@research.megasoft.com>, Golan Klinger <falco@vex.net>, "rsacrack@vex.net" <rsacrack@vex.net>, "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>, "deschall@gatekeeper.megasoft.com" <deschall@gatekeeper.megasoft.com>
Subject:   Re: First place.

drew@sml.co.jp wrote:

> Justin Wolf :
> > You actually think that DES is too weak when it takes all the
> >hackers in the known unix world to stage an attempt which has
> >been so far unsuccessful?  Hmm... different point of view I guess.
>
> You actually think that the US government doesn't have at least ten
> times the computing power of everyone in this effort put together?
> Hell, they've probably got that much computing power just in people's
> desktop workstations.  The fact is, 56-bit keys are useless when up
> against the US Government.
>
> --
> Drew Hamilton -- drew@sml.co.jp -- http://www.drew-hamilton.net/

Not to mention large, international corporations. We have 2000 thousand
computers! That is NOTHING! NOTHING! Think about the cmoputing power
that
Intel, Microsoft, IBM, Motorola, Apple, anyone could get together!!!
They just don't want to right now, because it would only prove that they
are in a position to conduct industrial espionage.

Brian