Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 19:59:42 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        "Clayton Webb" <cwebb@harborside.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cyrix

Clayton Webb writes:

> I am currenty trying to switch to FreeBSD for my main OS. I do not think
> that the Cyrix processor is compatitable with it.
[snip]

You didn't say *which* Cyrix CPU you have. Or what mainboard.

The first generation of Cyrix CPU's claimed to be 486's but fit on 386 MB's
and were riddled with bugs. You could make some work by disabling the
cache. I have an AMD 5x86/133-P75 machine that works well with FreeBSD as
long as the "write-back" cache is disabled in BIOS. "Write-thru" works
fine. Actually WB works until one installs an Adaptec 2940 PCI SCSI card
and actually tries to use it.

Modern Cyrix CPU's that fit in Pentium socket-7's are reputed to be
excellent CPU's.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net