Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:07:47 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Gregory P. Smith" <greg@nas.nasa.gov>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Willey <willey@etla.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD USB project, help requested

>     > > > x Programmers interested in taking part in the project by implementing
>     > > >   bits and pieces:
>     > > >   x Implementation of OHCI standard (similar to UHCI)
>     > > >   x Support for other UHCI/OHCI chipsets
>     > >
>     > > I volunteer for OHCI standard and support for the SiS 5598 OHCI chipset
>     > > (gee, can you guess what my motherboard has :).
>     >
>     > Get the OHCI standard and work from that.  (Which is what I have done
>     > for my unknown Toshiba chipset.)  The whole idea behind OHCI is that
>     > you don't have to know what sort of chipset you have, and we shouldn't
>     > care at all.
>
> Same for UHCI spec. Be aware of the fact though that without support for
> separate chipsets you will not be able to figure out the way to do it
> according to the specs.

I'm not sure I follow you here.  You can locate [OU]HCI devices by their
PCI class/subclass codes without needing to resort to vendor/product
IDs.

> The final result should be according to [OU]HCI spec and chipset
> independent, I agree, but for the moment we do not have the knowledge
> nor the base to claim that it is chipset independent.

If we cleave to the standard to start with, we'll be better off than
trying to separate the standard-compliant parts from the
chipset-specific parts later on...