Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:28:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
Cc:        Anders Andersson <anders@sanyusan.se>, "Joseph T. Lee" <nugundam@nerv.nu>, nat <nat@java-fan.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: identd for network

Starting with FreeBSD 4.0, the internal identd daemon located in inetd.
Here's a snippet from the man page I thought would be handy in your
situation:

-- snip --
Currently, the only internal service to take arguments is ``auth''. With-
out options, the service will always return ``ERROR : HIDDEN-USER''. The
available arguments to this service that alter its behavior are:

-d fallback
	If the real ident service is enabled, return this user for every
	request.  If the real ident service is disabled, then this flag,
	instead of returning an error if getting the socket credentials
	or looking up the user name fails, return a default fallback user
	name to the requesting ident client.  This is primarily useful
	when running this service on a NAT machine.

-r      Offer a real ``auth'' service, as per RFC 1413.  All the remain-
	ing flags apply only in this case.
-- snip --

It should look like this in /etc/inetd.conf:
-- snip --
auth	stream	tcp	nowait	root	internal auth -r -d nat-user
-- snip --

Replace ``nat-user'' with whatever you desire.
Hope this helps...

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |