Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:08:13 +0000
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Steven Friedrich <StevenFriedrich@InsightBB.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Qt programming

Steven Friedrich wrote:
> I want to learn Qt programming.  Can I do that without buying anything from TrollTech (until I'm ready to develop a commercial program) ?  Does FreeBSD have the tools, libraries, etc.?

There are several books on teh subject available also.  I would suggest
you need tow things,
1) a development environment, and
2) documentation

The very best choice you could possibly make for development would be
one of the BSD's.  This includes OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD,
and there are others.  It's arguable that Linux would be included in
that grouping ... the coding you will find in the BSD's is far more
prefessional in style, but the OS and environment is more develoed in Linux.

The worst choice you could make would be, Windows inany form.  You will
end up having to pay thousands of dollars for a less-rich environment.

The idea of buying one or more books is a very good idea, because there
are several very good ones out there, and lots of help online.

I don't know your goal well enough to product, but there is another
graphical option, that of the gimp toolkits, the gtk libraries.  Qt is
semi-free (free for free projects, paid if you try to make money on it).
  The Gimp toolkits are ALL totally free.  Beyond that, the qt system is
based upon a precompiler, I really, really dislike that sort of system,
and gtk doesn't do that.  That's a very personal prejudice, of course,
and maybe worth some discussion.  Anyhow, you want to consider gtk.

Another thing you might want to consider is, leaerning python, and then
using python's incredible facilities to program directly in gtk (see
pygtk) or qt (see pyqt).  I have myself done a large job in pygtk, it's
a great environment to work  in, a very rich programming environment for
gui work.