Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 02:47:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@iet.unipi.it, jmg@FreeBSD.ORG, kato@migmatite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp, iwasaki@pc.jaring.my
Subject:   Re: pcm device has a conflict with FreeBSD(98)? (Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa/snd

> Is it really needed to include support for ALL kinds of sound cards
> if I need just one ?  This is not scalable.  I would prefer a common
> framework for audio devices, and stubs for each card family.  Maybe
> two separate frameworks, if synthesizer support is added someday.

I understand your concern, but as long as there are going to be 2-3
mainstream codecs and tens of different card which emulate these 2-3
differing only in the attach routine, I do think mine is a reasonable
approach.

Audio cards are not as different as, say, ethernet cards, for which
having different drivers is reasonable because they are way different
from each other. And btw the "ed" and "de" driver now do the same
aggregation work of my sound driver. Similarly, I could have used "sb"
and "wss" as names, but it turns out that most modern codecs emulate
both (and possibly _need_ access to both)
so you end up needing both drivers in any case, hence my decision.

I have been thinking on the structure for quite some time, it is not a
decision I took out of the blue.

	Cheers
	Luigi