Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:17:04 +0100
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   hw.ata.wc && hw.ata.tags && softupdates short question

Hello to all,

I have searched for the experimental hw.ata.tags that work on IDE IBM DTLA and
DPLA disks.

For what I heard, I concluded that we shouldn't use softupdates with write
cache turned on. The first time that I tried this I loose a lot of work
due to a power failure.

Since then I'm using softupdates with hw.ata.wc="0".

Since I have a IBM DTLA disk that supports hw.ata.tags, I want to make the
following questions:

1. Can I use softupdates with hw.ata.wc="1" and hw.ata.tags="1" safely?

2. Does hw.ata.tags="1" "allows write caching to be safely turned on really?

Thanks very much,

Nuno Teixeira
Dir. Técnico
pt-quorum.com