Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:42:28 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Kastaki" <kastaki@ganbert.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <sysadmin@acrilic.net>
Subject:   RE: Firewalling on FreeBSD

Jonathan,

perhaps you could include your deny rules too for our enjoyment ?

From the rules you have shown, you need to change the FTP data connection
rule.  You have:
00200 allow tcp from any to any 20
00200 allow tcp from any to any 21

You should have:
00200 allow tcp from any 20 to any
00200 allow tcp from any to any 21

In passive mode, the server establishes the data connection FROM its own
port 20 to an unprivileged port on the client.

You should consider tightening it up once you know it works by specifying
the ip of the FTP server, like so:
00200 allow tcp from w.x.y.z 20 to any
00200 allow tcp from any to w.x.y.z 21

Patrick.