Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 13:23:12 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
Cc:        giorgetti@imimail.imisigeco.it, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am not able to install, because of...

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Peter Childs wrote:

> In article <B0000001324@moon.imisigeco.it> you wrote:
>
> :      Now I cannot move to slave my CD-ROM because of my other operating
> :      systems installed!!!
> :      Please help me and tell me that dowloading some new patches I will be
> :      able to use my master CD-ROM and I will use your BSD. I appreciated
> :      very much your manual!

I think you should try moving it to the slave position anyhow. Most OS's
don't mind. AFAIK DOS, Win95 and WinNT don't mind (though you may have to
add/remove an option from a device driver).

What OS do you use that seems to mind?

>  See the handbook section on installation, and consider doing a
>  installation from a DOS partition.
>
>  Basically this involves using your DOS to copy installation files
>  from the CD-ROM to your DOS partition, and installing from there.
>
>  However, please note that if you don't move your CD-ROM then even
>  if you get FreeBSD installed you will not be able to access it
>  while running FreeBSD.
I remember seeing in the hackers archive some patches to the driver that
may be able to recognize CDROM's that were not supported before. You may
want to look that up.