Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:56:58 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Ozzie Gurkan" <ozziegurkan@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem with connecting to mysql on another machine

On Monday 28 January 2002 22:21, Ozzie Gurkan wrote:

> > I am having problems connecting to mysql server from my FreeBSD machine.
> > I have tried using mysqladmin from the command line with no avail. The process
> > never returns. I can telnet into port 3306 and the host answers (even though
> > it is very difficult to get out of the telnet session). If I connect from my
> > windoze machine, I have no problems whatsoever. Is there some network
> > setting I am missing in my kernel, because I can cvsup, surf the net and ftp
> > just fine from the FreeBSD machine?

Are you sure the permissions on the MySQL server are set up to allow you to log
in remotely?
MySQL permissions are a little complicated.  You can have multiple usernames
from different machines, each with a different set of permissions.  If you haven't
added any users and issued a "grant" statement on the MySQL server, then your
default setup will be (at least this is how it is on a UN*X machine) root can log
in locally, and nobody else has any access.
Read the section of the MySQL manual regarding permissions and the GRANT
statement and then go over your permissions with a fine-toothed comb, it's very
easy to get them wrong.
Otherwise, check the logs on the MySQL server and see if anything looks suspicious
and try using the -v (verbose) option when running mysqladmin.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services