Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:59:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Jikes (java source -> byte code compiler) released in open-source form

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> [ Moved to -java ]
>
> > >     The thing compiles using, in jikesos/jikes/src/Makefile as shown below.
> > >     It works!  I'm impressed!
> >
> > Can you be a little more detailed about the environment of your test
> > app?  JDK?.?   ?  Any JFC in the app?  I'm really curious.
>
> Jikes works fine.  I haven't stress tested it completely on my (fairly
> complex) JFC applications,

I just did.  Works fine anyhow.  The .class files differ, but they
execute just as well.  Using 1.1.6 still, but the latest JFC stuff, and
lots of jdbc, graphics, etc.  Compiles like the wind, and works fine.

About 100K of source, compiled in about 1.5 seconds.  That'll do me.

 but it appears to work fine.  However, I
> should note that the Linux jikes binary is still faster than the FreeBSD
> native binary I compiled.
>
> (In case you weren't aware, Jikes is a replacement for javac, and only
> javac.  No VM, but the compiler is at least 10X faster than javac).
>
> Some things to note.  Applets compiled with jikes don't always work the
> same as applets compiled with javac.  Some people have reported that
> jikes compiled applets won't pass the byte-code verifier test in certain
> browsers, but this was with older versions of Jikes.  Newer versions of
> jikes are supposed to have fixed it, but the reporters haven't updated
> to test this yet.  (This from another mailing list I'm on.)
>

> Nate

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).