Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 18:09:37 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More about NFS problems under current

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 06:51:02PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> I haven't been able to get my NFS to work reliably yet, but I noticed
> the following message while booting:
>
> struct nfsmount bloated (> 512bytes)
> Try reducing NFS_MUIDHASHSIZ
>
> I don't know to what extent that is related, but I suppose it's worth
> trying.  Presumably this is happening to everybody.  Question:
> NFS_MUIDHASHSIZ is currently 63.  Should I reduce it to 31, or is the
> value not used as a mask?

eivind(bitbox)--% glimpse NFS_MUIDHASHSIZ
/sys/nfs/nfs.h: #ifndef NFS_MUIDHASHSIZ
/sys/nfs/nfs.h: #define NFS_MUIDHASHSIZ 63      /* Tune the size of nfsmount with this */
/sys/nfs/nfs.h:         (&(nmp)->nm_uidhashtbl[(uid) % NFS_MUIDHASHSIZ])
/sys/nfs/nfs_subs.c:            printf("Try reducing NFS_MUIDHASHSIZ\n");
/sys/nfs/nfsmount.h:    LIST_HEAD(, nfsuid) nm_uidhashtbl[NFS_MUIDHASHSIZ];
eivind(bitbox)--%

Looks like it would be better off as 32 to me.

BTW: Would it be a good idea to have a page in the handbook describing
'a good kernel development environment' or 'tricks and tips for the
kernel developer'?  I know I have a few tricks up my sleeve, and I
assume others have, too.

Eivind.