Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 16:43:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gary Algier <gaa@dgms.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I can't disklabel a disk slice.

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Gary Algier wrote:

> dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Gary Algier wrote:
> > > I have been struggling with disklabel in an attempt to disklabel
> > > a new slice.
>
> I am trying to work with only a "slice".  Or as the tutorial would call
> it "Compatibility Mode".  Note that there is no section "Making
> Compatibility Mode Disks Using the Command Line".

Because it's a pain.  fdisk(8), to put it politely, needs a good boot to
the head and a new UI.  Sysinstall is much better about this; it's fdisk
utility is actually useful.

>  One can do "disklabel -e slice-name", but one can't get "disklabel
> -Brw slice-name auto".  There should be no need to know a "disk type"
> for a slice.  It should be able to determine the size just as well on
> a sliced (Compabilty Mode) disk as for a full (Dedicated Mode) disk.

And it should get the disklabel information from the kernel, but your
drive (and the kernel) won't volunteer that information.

> > This is a problem, the system can't identify the disk type.  What's the
> > dmesg output for your disks?
>
> ahc0:A:5: refuses synchronous negotiation. Using asynchronous transfers
> (ahc0:5:0): "IOMEGA ZIP 100 J.03" type 0 removable SCSI 2
> sd1(ahc0:5:0): Direct-Access
> sd1(ahc0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
> sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using fictitious geometry
> 96MB (196608 512 byte sectors)

Why are you bothering to slice a Zip disk?  Just use another disk! :-)