Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 18:37:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net (Simon Shapiro)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patches on senderp-ppp.i-connect.net

> Hi Y'all,
>
> This is just a bit of formality and a reminder:
>
> Any progamming logic (source, object, executable, etc.) that you may find
> on the computer known as sendero-ppp.i-connect.net (206.190.143.100), which
> does not clearly display a Copyright notice authorizing free distribution
> is proprietary, unpublished source code of Simon Shapiro, Atlas Telecom or
> both.

I love the work you are doing, but the above statement is not correct.

a) It is not ``proprietary'' unless you take legal and proper actions
   to keep it as such.  In most cases you have done just the opposite,
   you've given pointers to it in a public forum.

b) The action of making it avaliable to anyone other than yourself
   is `publication'', thierfor the code is not ``unpublished''.

c) Your ftp server welcome message desen't even head any warnings
   what so ever.

In all hounesty I am simply amazed that the legal department of Atlas
Telecom has approved these actions.  I applaud them if they have.

> In the interest of cooperation and enhancement of testing and validation,
> Simon shapiro, and/or Atlas Telecom, may from time to time, at their own
> discretion, release such sources to the public under restictions known as
> the ``Berkeley Copyright'', and/or the ``GNU Software License''.
>
> Please refrain from downloading software from this site, unles authorized
> by Simon Shapiro.

Please require a password to access it then, your asking for legal
problems if you don't make a demonstaitable attempt to protect yourself.
Heck, even the XFree86 folks require a password to get to Alpha/Beta
code and they are a 501(c)3 that is required by thier articles of
incorporation (and hence law) to release there work to the public.

> The above has been triggered by a concern that incomplete, unreviewed and
> untested software may get distributed, causing confsion, liability exposure
> and just plain headaches.

And this mail message is going to stop any of that????

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD