Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:17:44 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        Al.Johnson@AJC.State.Net (User Al Johnson)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-PNP and sound cards

> Hello All,
>
> I'm looking for a bit of assistance again.
> I'm trying to get sound going under FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE.
>
> The problem I have is that both sound cards I have are
> PnP.  One is an Ensoniq SoundscapeVIVO and the other
> is a Sound Blaster AWE64 PnP.  I've installed the
> FreeBSD-PnP kernal stuff, a couple times since cvsup
> elected to remove it for me.

my sound driver and pnp stuff at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html

is known to work with both of the above
cards. For the VIVO, since the code probably does not recognize the
board directly, you have to put in the "device sb0" line the
same info as in the pnp config. E.g. one user reported the following
settings (commands to be specified in the pnp config line in userconfig)

    pnp 1 0 os enable port1 0x534 port2 0x2580 irq0 9 drq0 1 drq1 3

and

    device pcm0 at isa? tty port 0x530 irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x13 vector pcmintr

> The SoundScape Vivo will emulate a SB card, which model
> I'm not sure but it is a full duplex card.  Part of the

you actually will have much better luck in using the WSS emulation
which is truly full duplex (see the above config).

> trouble I'm having is figuring out what info from pnpinfo
> I need to plug into pnp.c and my /sys/i386/conf/hostname.

not sure which pnp.c config are you using.

> pnpinfo dumps out 4 printed pages of data, the addresses
> I think I've got (330, 530 and 2100) but the irq and drq
> are listed all over the place.

if you are so kind to send me the full pnp output I can add the vendor
id for the ensoniq to the code so it will be easier to support it
automatically.

	Cheers
	Luigi