Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 22:39:29 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        setantae@submonkey.net, saper@system.pl, kris@obsecurity.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [current] Re: What is user uucp good for?

M> In message: <20021105220926.GB6129@submonkey.net> Ceri Davies
M> <setantae@submonkey.net> writes: : For that matter, do we still
M> need xten, a user who has been pushed so far : to the edge of
M> obscurity that it's home directory doesn't even exist on a :
M> freshly installed system (and I'm not talking about /nonexistent).

M> For a long time I was a devender of xten, but my hardware is dead,
M> and the original author, who is my boss, wouldn't morn the passing
M> of it at all...

Add to that: recent x10 hardware that I've bought has worked with
standard serial w/o special x10 drivers.  Simple python (or perl)
scripts reading the serial port are sufficient to talk to it.

IIRC, the x10 computer interface was $19.95 or so.  That might have
included shipping.  It's even fully bidirectional.

Dave.