Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 19:22:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      robin!knarf@camelot.de
To:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Subject:   Re: kern/2923: panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: f6e21000

Hi,

You, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

> > I have the same problem here on a medium loaded newsserver (6 GB
> > newsspool). I get "panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr:
> > f6718000" with different values for addr. I updated from 2.1.5 to
> > 2.2.1 about 48 hours before I've seen this problem the first time.
> >
> > I really have no idea what to do now. The machine always reboots
> > some minutes after the crash. Running fsck on 10 GB disks all the
> > time is no fun... :/
>
>  Well - this doesn't sound like exactly the same problem -  although
> I can easily imagine it's just a frustrating.

It is...

lancelot:/home/knarf> last reboot
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 18:52
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 17:52
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 16:13
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 10:27
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 10:17
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 10:06
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 09:47
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 09:37
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 09:27
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 07:52
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 06:17
reboot    ~                         Fri Apr  4 01:35
reboot    ~                         Thu Apr  3 22:18
reboot    ~                         Thu Apr  3 22:04
reboot    ~                         Thu Apr  3 21:48
reboot    ~                         Thu Apr  3 20:03
reboot    ~                         Thu Apr  3 19:46
reboot    ~                         Thu Apr  3 19:24
reboot    ~                         Thu Apr  3 19:10

Before 2.2.1 I had uptimes of 10 to 30 days...

> > If you have any idea how I can make the uptime 6 hrs or higher, please
> > tell me!
>
>  Since I'm guessing this is a different problem; if you'll provide
> the kgdb traceback and an nm of your kernel (are you running a 2.2.1
> GENERIC kernel?) and details of your system - it's quite possible your
> problem isn't as thorny as mine and can be much more readily repaired.

I am not familiar with kernel debugging, but I think I have to build
a kernel with "options DDB" and/or KTRACE set. I'll do that right
now and hope to receive further instructions from you. :)

I have 128 MB of RAM and 2 x 64 MB swap partitions. Will this be a problem
(crash dump...)?

Bye,
Knarf
--
  Frank Bartels   |UUCP/ZModem/Fax: +49 89 8948040| "Captain, why not just
 knarf@camelot.de | http://www.camelot.de/~knarf/ | give the Borg Windows?"