Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:39:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Davin Milun <milun@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   AIC-7880 claiming non-wide

I have an on-motherboard AIC-7880, which has been working just fine for many
years now.  It's Wide and Ultra SCSI.

I just added an IBM 18ES 9gig Ultra2/LVD drive to my chain - and controller
and the drivers under Linux 2.2.10 gladly recognized it, and claimed
40MB/sec (Ultra and Wide).

I also have a 4gig Micropolis Wide (non-Ultra) on the wide part of the chain;
and an old Exabyte 8200 tape drive on the narrow connector off the
motherboard.
These 2 have been there for a long time.
The 9gig is replacing an old 1gig Wide that died.

Here's the problem: after doing a full dump of the 4gig to the 8200, suddenly
everything reported at 10MB/sec.  I figured that that was possible (that it
would slow down the whole bus to the tape drives speed).  So I rebooted, and
went into the Ctrl-A SCSI setup: and it reported the maxima set to 10MB
(instead of 40MB as I had set it up before).

Much more strange, however, and what I'm writing to ask about, is that it no
longer claims to be a Wide controller!  None of the Wide options are being
displayed within the Ctrl-A SCSI setup; and when Linux boots it claims that
it's a Narrow/Ultra controller.

Even power-cycling did not fix it.

Suggestions/help please.

Thanks.