Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 11:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jan Koum  <jkb@best.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@image.dk>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ETRN, fixed ip-adress

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Leif Neland wrote:

>So I need a fixed ip-adress to use ETRN to allow our customers servers
>pick up mail.
>
>Does this need to be a public ip-adress, or could this be a private ip
>number like 10.0.0.2 ?
>
>The mail should be sent first to our server, which holds the MX for the
>customers domain.
>
>How do I then arrange the delivery?
>
>I can't put the private ip adress in their official domain; should I have
>a private dns-server too, listing secret domainnames?
>
>leifn@internet.dk

	Yes, this would be so called "split brain DNS" setup. It is very
nice for securing your network as doing NAT is one of the best measures to
make network secure. But anyway, you can't use 10.x.x.x address on the
"internet", but you can on your "intranet" or LAN if they are not directly
connected to the internet -- connect it through firewall or a router doing
NAT. Basically however, by doing some tricks with DNS and network setup
you can have mail coming into internal server w/o internal server know
about internet at all and using 10.x.x.x address. :)

-- Yan

P.S. -- What is ETRN btw?