Date:      Tue, 30 May 95 14:03:58 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        pritc003@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, wsantee@wsantee.oz.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG

> I've been noticing very long delays lately between the time a message
> is posted to any of the freebsd-* lists and the time it makes it back
> to my mail machine.

Nobody thinks the fact that AlterNET has been toast for the past 3 days
has anything to do with this?

Seriously, there was major work on the SprintNET and AlterNET portions
of the Internet backbone this weekend.

Probably explains your delay.

Apparently neither service understands cell isolation debugging, where
you split your net in two, and then repeat the process to isolate the
problem.

This is a general problem in the base design of the InterNET, the use
of ATM as an IP transport without IP support of source quench, the
addressing of resources by host rather than by service, and the general
lack of switchable redundant paths and smart software to cause the
switching to take place in the face of congestion.

I'm currently going to San Diego to LA to San Jose to Vienna Virginia
to Denver to SLC to Ogden to type this -- apparently, the NAP in
California is stone-dead, at least as far as SprintNET is concerned.

There are also some US West leased line problems into and out of LA
(or at least there were as of 8 PM last night).

I doubt Usenet, which uses the same transport, would fare any better.

Makes you want to start your own Internet.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.