Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 13:42:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Brian O'Connor" <boc@ironbark.bendigo.latrobe.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   development environments

Hello all,
          we are currently using a lab of SGI indy workstations to
teach programming(c/c++, java). The indys have been excellent, but to
replace them with new O2 machines will cost us too much. We are looking at
intel machines running freeBSD. The are there others out there that are
using freeBSD for this purpose?

I guess the question is what do people use as heavy duty development
environments for FreeBSD. Can they compare to commercial tools.

SGI has a great varsity pack deal that gives us high level commercial
C++/C,fortran,cosmo(java) and ada development packages.

Is FreeBSD limited to gcc and other GNU tools?(we have found them very buggy)

Brian
--

                   Brian O'Connor, Unix Systems Consultant
      La Trobe University,Bendigo,Australia; b.oconnor@latrobe.edu.au