Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:47:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Jamie Ostrowski <jamie@getsetnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with keyboard on FreeBSD

Jamie Ostrowski wrote to freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG:

>     Hi,
>
>     I am running FreeBSD 4.5 RELEASE on an x86 hardware based server. If
> the keyboard happens to come unplugged, upon plugging it back in there is
> no response from the system. I have to reboot for the keyboard to start
> working again.

This is normal, and non-OS specific. PS/2 or DIN-5 connections are not
hot-pluggable. You might get lucky, and, then again, you might have to
restart your machine. I've even heard tell of cooked keyboard
interfaces and the like.

You say this was accidental, but you might benefit from some general
advice I can give you, should you ever need to accidentally unplug
your keyboard in the future:

o Don't do that
o Invest in a high quality KVM switch
o Do not use a keyboard; do everything remotely
  via SSH (or telnet, on a secure connection).
o Try a USB keyboard (someone else suggested this, I think..
  I have no experience with USB keyboards in FreeBSD :-)
  USB is designed to be hot-pluggable. Make sure usbd is
  running.

One last idea that I have used on occasion: Make some "key floppies"
that basically contain a flag file that will cause your server to
execute a predetermined list of instructions. Set up a cron job that,
every few minutes, mounts the disk and checks for the existence of
your flag files. You can trivially set this up to cleanly reboot the
system, restart daemons, etc. This is only a good idea in a secure
environment. Also, keep the programming logic on the server... NEVER
run arbitrary shell code as root from a floppy. :-)

> The problem is that I have to shut the machine down hard in order to
> do this, since the keyboard is unresponsive. Obviously the disks
> complain when I bring the machine up again, and this is a production
> server. If a keyboard accidentaly comes unplugged, is there anything
> you can do to get the system to interact with it rather than
> powering down and restarting?

Not that I know of.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon