Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:28:23 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        David Quattlebaum <sasdrq@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd 2.1.5 install from toshiba atapi cd

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, David Quattlebaum wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I have the following setup at home:
>
> Gateway P5-120 Professional Computer
> Two Quantum 1.0G drives - 2112 Cyls, 63 Heads, 13 Sectors
> One Toshiba 8x CD rom (atapi) on separate IDE controller as
>    master device.
>
> The boot kernel from my 2.1.5 Walnut Creek CD (August 96) does
> not recognize my CD when it boots.
The best chances you have are to configure the CD as the slave on the
master controller (with your "C" drive), and move the second hard disk to
the second controller.

The CD should be recognized then. You may still want to have the root
partition on the first disk, or else you'll have to build a custom kernel
(while swapping disks temporarily, to get the machine to boot) with the
following line in it:
config kernel root on wd2

> I am trying to install FreeBSD on my d: drive.
>
> What available options do I have for installing on this home
> computer with no network connection. I even tried install the
> minimum configuration from a DOS partition (c:\freebsd) but that
> failed after starting with the message "-1 bytes read of 1024".
>
> --
> David Quattlebaum, (sasdrq@unx.sas.com)
>
> "Why if only we were all wiener dogs, our problem would be solved!"

Good luck,
Nadav