Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 12:07:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter>
To:        freebsd-smp
Subject:   cvs commit:  sys/kern init_main.c sys/i386/i386 mpboot.s

peter       96/10/02 12:07:10

  Modified:    kern      init_main.c
               i386/i386  mpboot.s
  Log:
  Kill some NCPU == 2 dependencies.

  Theoretically, it can now run 'n' cpus (n < 15).  It creates as many
  idle procs as are needed, and carefully brings them online so that it
  can reuse mp_stk each time.  I've not looked very closely, but I think
  most other places in the code deal with 'NCPU'.  I'll check soon.
  It uses a new type of mutex semaphore for unlocking the cpus, as suggested
  in some intel docs.

  Also... shudder.. It fires up the alternate cpus as soon as the idle proc
  is scheduled, ie: at boot time immediately after init.  No more need to
  set kern.smp_active to 2.  In theory, if you have 4 cpus, smp_active should
  end up with the value "4".  Raising and lowering it will probably enable and
  disable the appropriate numbered cpus.  Setting smp_active to 1 should cause
  the system to effectively run uniprocessor.

  "It works for me (TM)"..

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.24      +63 -40    sys/kern/init_main.c
  1.4       +30 -8     sys/i386/i386/mpboot.s