Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 10:15:47 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finding a.out shared libraries (was: Netscape no longer works with ELF system)

> Maybe I could do something like that with the new ELF binaries.  I'm not
> going to change all our other binary distributions at this point though,
> but maybe when we release 3.3.3 it can be organised differently (don't
> hold me to this, but we're considering a 3.3.3 release in about six
> weeks from now).  Can you remind me exactly what you proposed last time?

OK.  The proposal last time was something like:

     pub/XFree86/${OSNAME}[-${RELNAME}]/${VERSION}/XF86prog.tgz

For the prog tarball (to use a convenient example).  Thus, for FreeBSD 3.0
you might have:

     pub/XFree86/FreeBSD-3.0/3.3.3/XF86prog.tgz
     pub/XFree86/FreeBSD-3.0/3.3.3/XF86bin.tgz

> But I was going to put them in a new "alib" tarball (or alternatively
> they could be in the main "bin" tarball together with the ELF shared libs).

Oh, there's another idea.  OK, I agree, and I think it would be best
to put them into the bin tarball for now until I've had the chance to
make a new installation category for "alib" - I think it would best
obey POLA at this time of transition.

> Hmm, are you really planning to put them in /usr/X11R6/lib/compat rather
> than /usr/X11R6/lib/aout?

Erm, sorry.  Brain-o. :)  Yes, I meant /usr/X11R6/lib/aout

- Jordan