Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:46:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   libc size

After a discussion on cvs-all regarding size of our libc, I wrote a quick
script to see where the problems are.  A cursory glance at its output
shows there are numerous things we can improve, including:

  * setproctitle(3) uses 4k of static scratch buffers when it could
    allocate these on the stack (let alone reducing the length of the
    proc title to something more reasonable than 2k).

  * vfwprintf and vfprintf are near duplicates of each other (in fact,
    the former is derived from the latter).  Each uses 14k of text so
    this could be split in half by combining them and selecting different
    behavior with a flag.

Here is a link to the size of various components of libc, sorted by text
size.  If you can find some way to reduce or even remove some of this,
please submit a patch.

  http://www.root.org/~nate/freebsd/lib_size.out

-Nate