Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:59:22 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Langa Kentane <evablunted@earthling.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IP Aliasing

On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 05:53:53PM +0200, Langa Kentane wrote:
> Hi y'all
>
> I have just attempted to add an alias address for my network card for an
> apache virtual server.  How do I do this with ifconfig, or through
> /etc/rc.conf

In order to add an alias for the interface, ifconfig(8) it like for primary
address, but put an "alias" word at the end.  If you add an alias from the
same subnet, netmask should be given as 255.255.255.255.

/etc/defaults/rc.conf contains a sample alias entry for lo0.

> I read the man page for ifconfig and could not figure out how it's done.

: The following parameters may be set with ifconfig:
:
: alias   Establish an additional network address for this interface.  This
:         is sometimes useful when changing network numbers, and one wishes
:         to accept packets addressed to the old interface.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,