Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 09:56:03 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        Aled Morris <aledm@relay-europe.ps.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DEC Alpha Multia

> Anyone thought about a port of FreeBSD to the DEC Alpha processor?  The
> new Multia machine seems to offer good value for money hardware (166MHz
> 64bit Alpha processor, 24Mb RAM, 340Mb SCSI-2 HDD, PCI bus, and Ethernet
> for $3000)

Not a good idea.  The Multia does not have the SRM console which is required
to get the Digital UNIX palcode or the OpenVMS palcode.  Multia only comes
with the NT Palcode.

This mean you could not use the NetBSD port directly and would have to
re-implement the palcode interface and page table / pmap and ...

I sure it could be done but the effort would be better spent on the
ALPHA PCI noname motherboard support (which are about ~$1300 including
processor) so you could built a comparable system to the Multia for not
that much more.