Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:35:28 +0000
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@bull.cs.williams.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   resolver not "trimming" domains?

The resolv.conf on this machine has solely a nameserver line. The
hostname for this machine is set to hamburger.cs.williams.edu in
rc.conf.

Abbreviated hostname lookups work fine if I search for something in
the cs.williams.edu domain, e.g. I can

  ping dexter

successfully because there is a host dexter.cs.williams.edu. But if I try

  ping colrain

I get a hostname lookup failure, even though there is a host
colrain.williams.edu (note no "cs").

According to the resolv.conf man page:

  The search list is normally determined from the local domain
  name; by default, it begins with the local domain name, then
  successive parent domains that have at least two components in their
  names.

I get the same behavior if I include a "domain" line in
/etc/resolv.conf.  I can of course add "search" lines, but I'd rather
understand why the resolver doesn't appear to be behaving properly.

What am I missing?

-jay