Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:04:59 -0500
From:      "GB" <gbrooks@BLUE-MOUSE.COM>
To:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "'Michael Lucas'" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD PR (long, rambling -- bear with me)

(cc'd to Michael Lucas because some of my mail isn't making it to the
advocacy list, apparently... Michael, if this doesn't show up on
advocacy, please resend.)

All (or rather, all who are interested):

Think of communicating about FreeBSD as a process rather than an event
-- handling PR, communications or whatever you want to call it as a
one-shot is sort of like thinking about network security as a one-time
event: Such efforts are largely destined to fail.

Things to define include:

* Who are our key audiences? By this I mean those most likely to adopt
FreeBSD or influence the decision process. (Having said that, I
recognize that focusing on potential adopters and their influencers is
just my gut instinct -- can anyone identify other groups we should be
reaching out to? Standards-setting bodies? Other *nix communities? Tim
O'Reilly so he'll send us free books?)

* What makes FreeBSD different/better for the newbie? For the person
with a little Linux experience under his/her belt? For the I.T. pro?
And, while we're at it, what does FreeBSD suck at? (Granted, we may
think it sucks at nothing, but someone is going to identify weaknesses
with the OS, and it's sound communications practice to have an answer
for ever assertion likely to come up.)

* What are we out in front on? Linux has a foothold in the corporate
I.T. world, OpenBSD has security and NetBSD has portability. What's our
niche? Related question: Out of this niche and our identified strengths,
what's our "elevator story?" (The 1-2 minute spiel what says what
FreeBSD is, why it's good and why it matters.)

Ideally what we end up with are key audiences, key messages and a matrix
of how they intersect. Then we have a roadmap for what we say and who we
say it to. After that, building materials and/or channels is easier and
(hopefully) more effective.

So far, I've heard mentions of posters and some other materials. Any
thoughts on how effective (if at all) any of the following might be:

* Professionally formatted white paper comparing FreeBSD-based solutions
to Windows/Linux in various situations.

* FAQs or introductory documents directed at specific groups (again, I
keep thinking of utter newbies, those who've dabbled in Linux and the
I.T. professional, but there are likely other groups as well). In a
perfect world, of course, everyone finds Perfect Wisdom by R-ingTFM --
but we don't live in a perfect world, so every bit we do to make the
learning curve easier helps make inroads.

* Some standard press materials/backgrounders that the media could
download, such as:

 -- FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows vs. Mac OS (a one-page table)
 -- Major sites running FreeBSD
 -- Uptime/reliability stats
etc...

Again, this is material that's already out there, but the No. 1 rule
with the press is that reporters like to have things handed to them --
make it easy to do the research and even easier to write, and you'll
have more press than the competition.

OK, so this has gotten long. Anyone's/everyone's thoughts?

Greg B.