Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 18:19:02 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        dg@root.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seti project / stats reset, new version available

#define quoting(Matthew Dillon)
//     This reduces the effect an idprio seti background task has on the rest of
//     the system.

  Yeah...  I was going to ask just this.  My users complained about
server response after starting setiathome.

// sysctl -w kern.quantum=20000

  Humm, my systems are configured with a value with 10:

krakatoa::root [650] sysctl kern | grep quantum
kern.quantum: 10

  This both in 3.1-stable (Early May) and 2.2.8-stable (latest).

  Are you talking about a 4.0-current setup ?

//     The default is 100,000 ( 100ms ) which, for a modern cpu, is
//     much more chunky then it needs to be.  Reducing it to 20ms
//     makes a big difference.  At 100000 I can feel the slow response
//     with seti running in the background.  At 20000 it is much less
//     pronounced.

  What are the drawbacks of this ?  More CPU time spent in context
switches ?

					Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís			jonny@jonny.eng.br