Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 1997 17:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      George Robbins <grr@shandakor.tharsis.com>
To:        adam@homeport.org, robert@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, tech@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Security Model/Target for FreeBSD or 4.4?

> From: Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
> To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
> cc: freebsd-security@freebsd.org, tech@openbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Security Model/Target for FreeBSD or 4.4?
>
> With regards to gid vs. uid -- is either one of this preferable for any
> particular reason?  gid may be more flexible, I guess, as it would allow
> multiple users to bind the same ports, but without having rights to each
> others processes, and as such allow a simpler minimum configuration.

I don't want to sound like a grinch, but this seems like a poor direction
to be headed in.  The kernel is blessedly free of "special values" for
UID's and GID's.  Like one really special UID=0 (*) and done with it.  File
system protections are the general access control method and if you want to
layout something with a lot of cases, this should given first consideration.

(*) there are other special values, but typically the kernel does not
	explicitly test for them, they fail to be 0 or fail to match
	an opaque ID.  Not even sure there are any special GID's, the
	group 0 allowed to su can be handled at the applications level.

						Groge