Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 12:19:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        L2Hl2l <L2Hl2l@aol.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation question

On Sun, 10 May 1998, L2Hl2l wrote:

> Dear user,
> I am in question about installing FreeBSD kernel ver. 2.2.6.  I'm trying to
> install this using 2 separate Hard Disks.  Both of which are IDE.  I know the
> boot record can only be held on my master drive which is of course, Drive 0
> (Label C:)  I installed FreeBSD on drive 01 which is my second fixed drive
> with one primary partition (I am using the whole disk for FreeBSD).  after the
> installation was finished, I rebooted my PC (IBM Compatible with Windows 95 as
> the primary OS) and did not get any kind of prompt, even though I chose to
> install Boot easy, to choose which OS I wanted to Boot up into.  I then
> installed a program called System Commander, which is supposed to auto detect
> all operating systems that are installed in the boot record.  The question is:
>
> How do I get FreeBSD installed on a dual IDE drive system when the boot record
> can only be contained on the C: drive?

You may have to manually install BootEasy.  You might check that FreeBSD
actually installed -- you should be able to boot the boot floppy and type
`wd(1,a)/kernel' at the Boot: prompt and have the system start.

To manually install booteasy:

. grab bootinst.exe and boot.bin off the CD
. make sure that any boot sector protection in the BIOS is turned off
. Boot a DOS disk (not windows)
. run bootinst

> I followed all of the installation instructions that were shipped with the 4
> CD-ROM set, and still no luck.  Even read the book that came with the CD's,
> and could not find anything on my particular case.  If you have any
> suggestions as to the method(s) I should use to install FreeBSD, then Email me
> at JROGERS351@AOL.COM

If you want replies to go to jrogers351, why are you writing from l2hl2l?