Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 22:02:15 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        june@adn.edu.ph
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing /usr/ports subdirectories

> 	I noticed that I don't have the /usr/ports subdirectories. I have
> read from a lot of e-mails that in there are contained the ports
> collection. I installed the 2.2-960501-SNAP distribution and I guess it
> was not there. Is there a way I could get the ports collection with
> manually FTP-ing each and every subdirs in the download site?

In fact, each port is just a skeleton - when you type 'make', it pulls
down the source from the CD or by FTP, saving you from having to
download all the source for every single port. Clever eh? 8-)

Also, FreeBSD's FTP server supports on-the-fly archiving and
compression, so you can do something like:-

$ ftp ftp.freebsd.org	# Or a local mirror
> cd /where/the/ports/live
> get audio.tar.gz	# FTP server will tar & gzip the audio ports
> quit
$ tar xzvf audio.tar.gz

to get all the audio ports at once!

--