Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:40:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   User base statistics?

I know this has been asked before, and I know there's more than one way to
count systems... but I really need to know how many FreeBSD systems are
out there for an advocacy project I'm working on right now.

Some rough estimate would be ok, as long as it's backed up by some solid
statistics.  I'm thinking of the following:

"We have xxxx registered users, which we feel represents yyyy to zzzz
percent of the total FreeBSD population."

I'm not looking for specific TYPES of servers (web, ftp, whatever)... I'm
looking for a total count of FreeBSD systems out there -- including those
not being used to provide any services, and those that might not be
directly Internet-connected.

I remember seeing numbers SOMEWHERE, but I'm getting senile.  Any pointers
would be appreciated.

Please respond via private mail; I don't want to clutter up the list.  If
a large number of people are interested, I'll post a summary.

Thanks,

SB