Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:03:26 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Bob Ababurko <ababurko@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unknown process?

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:29:56PM -0400, Bob Ababurko wrote:

>   I have just installed the 5.3Beta2 sparc64 on my ultra 2.  For the past
> two nights, I notice alot of uninitiated isk activity because my disks are
> kinda loud.  When i do a top, I see find running.  I kill it and then
> sendmail starts up....this is very scary.  And I am about to use this as a
> web server.  I am not sure how to find out what is telling find to
> run.  There is not cron jobs running, at least not roots.  What can I do to
> find out what is going on here?  Is there some type of facility that
> freebsd uses to report to usage or stats to some type of central db due to
> its beta status?

It starts at 3am, right?  This is normal.  Just let it go next time and
then check email sent to the 'root' user when the disk activity dies down.
It's checking for new set-uid files and other things related to the security
check mail being sent.

They're started by a cron job for the root user - the "periodic daily"
entry in /etc/crontab.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu