Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:40:40 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc

> The main holdups have been getting the native egcs build to do something
> more sensible with regards to -aout/-elf, and, if things work out, a bit
> better cross-compile support.  (Note, the cross compile stuff doesn't work
> too happily with the existing bmake glue and hacks in the code.)  I think
> I've got the threaded vs setjump/longjump exception stuff sorted out and
> runtime switchable based on -thread etc.

I'd personally be happy with an egcs that just did sensible things
with ELF, though I guess a.out is a bonus(?) of sorts.  Still, I just
tweaked the egcs 1.1.1 configure script to replace my system compiler
entirely and then built the world and kernel from it - the resulting
system appears to work, provided that you comment out the compiler
from the build so that it doesn't clobber itself.  I think we really
are probably holding this up a bit too much on the small points rather
than the big ones. :)

> I suspect libg++ is approaching "delete" material.  libstdc++ comes with
> egcs, and a hacked up libg++ is floating around that we can probably use,
> but I wonder if it's time to loose it and keep just libstdc++.  libg++ on

I agree.  I've done that here as well.

- Jordan