Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 22:24:07 -0500
From:      Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@CS.McGill.CA>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard disk with 2466 cylinders

Hi. I am thinking of buying a 1.2G hard disk on which I would install
MS-DOS 6.0/6.22 and FreeBSD 2.1.0. I am worried about the ability of my
PC to use all of the disk's cylinders.

My PC has a GMB-486UNP "80486 VESA Mainboard" (I have the manual) with
a 486DX2-66 and 8 megs of memory. It currently has an IDE disk
controller. All these things were bought in June of 1994. When the PC
boots, I see this:

    AMIBIOS (C) 1993 American Megatrends Inc.

On the BIOS chip itself, I see

	    AMIBIOS
    AMERICAN MEGATRENDS
    486DX ISA BIOS   (c) 1993
    AB2766757

The hard disk I am thinking of buying is a Samsung which formats to
1.2G according to the store. The following is its geometry:

    2466 cylinders
    16 heads
    63 sectors

The store tells me that if I don't have an "LBA" board, DOS will not
be able to use more than the first 528 megs. They tell me that 1993
is too old a year for my board to be of the "LBA" type. They say that
unlike other large hard disks, the Samsung does not come with a "driver"
that would allow DOS to use the entire disk.

Of course, they know almost nothing about FreeBSD/Linux/Unix so they
can't tell me if this is a DOS-only problem.

My objective is to have about one half of the disk for MS-DOS and
one half for FreeBSD. There should be a boot manager that allows me
to select the operating system I want.

N.B.: I currently run MS-DOS 5.0 and FreeBSD 2.0.5 on a 325M disk
(1010 cylinders) on the PC that I described, with an appropriate
boot manager.

Thanks for your time.

Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@cs.mcgill.ca> [Montreal]